Erin Josephson-Laidlaw is an interdisciplinary artist living in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. Her practice includes drawing, painting, printmaking, collage, and sculpture. She holds a Bachelor of Fine Arts from the Ontario College of Art and Design, where she majored in drawing and painting, and a Bachelor of Environmental Design from the University of Manitoba, where she studied architecture. Much of her work explores collection, preservation, and the way human cultures understand/misunderstand nature. Oscillating between earnestness and irreverence she is interested in exploring softness, messiness, and delicacy.
B. 1987 Winnipeg, Manitoba
- La Crème de la relève, Atelier Circulaire, Montreal, Quebec 2016
- Attitudes in Latitudes: The Northern Wild Explores the Tropics, ArtCenter/South Florida, Miami, Florida, Curated by Ombretta Agró Andruff 2015
- Trade/ Gift/ Purchase: Artists Collect, Warren G. Flowers Gallery, Montreal, Quebec 2015
- Survivability II, Portage & District Arts Centre, Portage La Prairie, Manitoba 2014
- Garden, Atomic Centre, Winnipeg, Manitoba 2013
- Pretty Pretty, Bistro 7 1/4, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Organized by Synonym Art Consultation 2013
- Winter Residents, Parlour, Winnipeg, Manitoba, 2013
- Survivability, MAWA, Winnipeg, Manitoba & AGSM Community Gallery, Brandon, Manitoba 2012
- La Nuit Blanche Moonlight Petting Zoo, MAWA, Winnipeg, Manitoba 2012
- 97 Positions of the Heart, Ace Art Project Room, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Curated by the Núna (Now) Curatorial Committee 2012
- Diorama-rama, Negative Space, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Curated by the Negative Space Curatorial Committee 2012
- Post No Bills, Pop-up Gallery on the corner of Arthur and McDermot, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Curated by Joe Kalturnyk and Eric Wood 2011
- Friendly Families, Gimli Film Festival, Scotiabank Short Film Centre (Aspire Theatre), Gimli, Manitoba, Programmed by Matthew Etches 2011
- Birds, Bees, Bears and Beers, Cre8ery, Winnipeg, Manitoba 2011
- Enter OCAD, OCAD, Toronto, Ontario 2010
- Faciebat, OCAD Great Hall, Toronto, Ontario & 7 Via Nazionale, Florence, Italy 2009
Publications and Editions
- Artist page in PaperWait Volume 16: 2013-2014, Winnipeg: aceartinc.
- Biosphere, Varied edition of digital and intaglio prints, 2014.
- Gardens- None Too Small, Hand-bound book, Edition of 42, 2013.
- Plegado Hospederia (Folded Guesthouse), In Warehouse Journal: Volume 23, Winnipeg: Faculty of Architecture, University of Manitoba, 169, 2014.
- Illustrations for MAWA’s 30th Anniversary Brochure, Winnipeg: Junebug Design, 2014.
- Some Specimens, Portfolio of 6 intaglio prints with watercolour wash, Edition of 30, 2013.
- Cover and select images in Mystery—Arvoitus, HESA Inprint, Issue 21, October 2012, Helsinki, Finland, Edited by Anna Puhakka.
- Illustrations for 97 Positions of the Heart, Written by Jaik Josephson, Winnipeg: J. Gordon Shillingford Publishing, 2012.
Education and Mentorships
- University of Manitoba, Faculty of Architecture, Bachelor of Environmental Design 2016
- Mentoring Artists for Women’s Art Foundation Mentorship Program 2011-2012
- Ontario College of Art and Design, Bachelor of Fine Art 2010
- Ontario College of Art and Design, Off-Campus Florence Program 2008-2009
Grants and Awards
- Manitoba Arts Council, Creation/Production Grant in the Visual Arts “C” 2012
- Manitoba Arts Council, Creation/Production Grant in the Visual Arts “C” 2011
- Ontario College of Art and Design, Canadian Society of Painters in Watercolour Julius Griffith Memorial Award 2010
- Manitoba Arts Council, Student Bursary 2008